The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine will conduct a program evaluation of the Minerva Research Initiative (MRI) that resides within the Office of the Secretary of Defense. The committee will be tasked to address: (1) quality and impact of the program, (2) processes and procedures that may affect the success of the program, and (3) direction and vision based on the challenges of the world today. This project has a 24 month duration and is an unclassified study.
Fellow committee members:
- Dr. Allen L. Schirm, (Chair), is former director of methods and former senior fellow at Mathematica Policy Research, Inc. (MPR)
- Dr. Burt S. Barnow is Amsterdam professor of public service and of economics at George Washington University.
- Dr. Karen S. Cook is the Ray Lyman Wilbur professor of sociology, director of the Institute for Research in the Social Sciences, and vice-provost for faculty development and diversity at Stanford University.
- Dr. Susan E. Cozzens is professor emeritus of public policy at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Dr. Barbara Entwisle is Kenan distinguished professor of sociology and formerly vice chancellor for research at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Dr. Ivy Estabrooke is executive director of the Utah Science Technology and Research Initiative (USTAR). Prior to joining USTAR, she served as the program officer for basic research in the Expeditionary Maneuver Warfare & Combating Terrorism Department at the Office of Naval Research (ONR).
- Dr. Paul A. Gade retired as a senior research psychologist and the chief of the Basic Research Unit of the U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences (ARI), where he developed and led ARI’s intramural and extramural basic research programs for over 10 years. He currently holds a research professor appointment in the organizational sciences and communications department at George Washington University, where his work is focused on the history of ARI.
- Dr. Robert Hauser is the executive officer of the American Philosophical Society.
- Dr. Steven Heeringa is a senior research scientist at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research (ISR).
- Dr. Daniel Ilgen is John A. Hannah distinguished professor of psychology and management at Michigan State University.
- Dr. Virginia Lesser is director of the Survey Research Center and department chair and professor in the department of statistics at Oregon State University.
- Dr. Arthur Lupia is Hal R. Varian professor of political science and research professor at the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan.
- Dr. Kathryn Newcomer is director of the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration at George Washington University and professor of public policy and public administration.
- Mark Weiss is retired director of the Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences Division, within the Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences at the National Science Foundation.