The Statistics department does not offer an undergraduate major. Undergraduate students interested in preparing for graduate studies in Statistics should consider these options:
- Statistics Undergraduate Minor:
Undergraduate Minor in Statistics Outcomes: The following link is the Minor in Statistics Checklist. https://stat.oregonstate.edu/file/401
- Students will be able to understand basic theoretical and applied principles of statistics needed to enter the job force.
- Students will be able to communicate key statistical concepts to non-statisticians.
- Students will gain proficiency in using statistical software for data analysis.
Core requirements for undergraduate minor in Statistics: ST201 or ST314 or ST351, ST352, ST407, ST421 and ST422 for a minimum of 27 credits.
Additional requirements for undergraduate minor in Statistics: a minimum of 10 credit of additional approved courses: BOT440, ECE461, ECON424, FOR321, H425, IE355, IE356, MTH464, MTH465, MTH467, PSY301, SOC315, ST411, ST412, ST413, ST415, ST431, ST435, ST439, ST441, ST443, ST473, and/or ST499.
2. Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Statistics Option (https://math.oregonstate.edu/files/math/UnGrPamphlet.April2014.pdf). (See page 3 for a description of the Statistics Option and pages 7 and 8 (PDF) for the Mathematics Statistics Option course checklist.) The Statistics option offers Mathematics majors an opportunity to concentrate their senior level course work in the area of statistics and probability after completing core junior and lower-division mathematics requirements. This degree option is designed to allow a focus on the study of the mathematical theory underlying statistics while simultaneously developing expertise in statistical applications. This option provides excellent preparation for graduate study in Statistics.
Undergraduate students wishing to earn a Statistics undergraduate minor should take a completed Change of Undergraduate Program form to the College of Science Dean's office in 128 Kidder for approval.
You may come to the Statistics Department office and pick up a packet containing information and necessary forms.