When to Apply
Applications for admission to the Department of Statistics should be submitted by July 1 for admission the following Fall. Applicants desiring financial aid and a timely decision should submit applications by February 1 for admission the following Fall. Applications must be complete (see checklist below) by the deadline. Applications are only accepted for Fall term admission.
Applying for Admission
Admission requirements, application instructions, and a link to the online application system are available from the Graduate Admissions page. Please follow the instructions carefully. The Department of Statistics requires three letters of recommendation along with the university application form, transcripts, GRE scores, CV, and a statement of objectives. Letters of recommendation should be submitted through the Graduate School's online system. All materials must be submitted directly to the Graduate School. Do not send materials to the Statistics Department.
Apply to the Appropriate Program
If you will not have an MS degree in Statistics before beginning our program, please apply to our MS program. If you are ultimately interested in a PhD, upon successful completion of the MS and approval of the faculty you may be advanced to PhD study. Information about applying directly to the PhD program is here.
Click on the links to view a list of important topics covered in the course.
- single- and multi-variable calculus (approximately 4 quarters)
- a course in linear algebra
- a course in mathematical statistics, two quarters or one year strongly preferred
- at least one applied statistics course (preferred, not required)
- MS applicants interested in the PhD are strongly encouraged to have advanced calculus; applicants to the PhD program must have this prerequisite
A complete application consists of the following items. All materials must be received by the Graduate School by the deadline. We strongly recommend beginning the application several days before the deadline to allow for Graduate School processing time. It is the applicant's responsibility to log onto the online application system and check that the materials are visible. Please note that after the application is submitted, you will receive an email from the Graduate School with instructions for logging onto the system and uploading documents such as the CV.
- Application fee
- Application form
- Statement of objectives (goals, intent)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Transcripts (unofficial accepted for application; official transcripts will be required if and when application accepted)
- Three letters of recommendation (use on-line system)
- Official GRE scores (general test--no subject tests required)
For international students:
- Official TOEFL scores (details and exceptions to this requirement are here)
Applying for a Concurrent Degree in Statistics
Students enrolled in other degree programs at OSU may apply to do a concurrent MS degree in Statistics. Information and instructions are here.