- DrPh Biostatistics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1992
- M.S. Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, 1987
- Samping methods
- Survey methodology
- Environmental statistics
- Applied statistics
- Ecological monitoring
Selected Publications [for more, see personal webpage]
- Lesser, V. M., Newton, L. D., Yang, D., and Sifneos, J. (2016), "Mixed-mode surveys compared with single mode surveys: trends in responses and methods to improve completion," Journal of Rural Social Sciences, 31(3):7-34.
- Harding, A. K., Stone, D., Cardenas, A., and Lesser, V. M. (2014), "Risk behaviors and self-reported illnesses among Pacific Northwest surfers," Journal of Water and Health, 13(1): 230-242.
- McCormick, M., Baker, D., Biemer, P., Carlson, B., DiezRoux, A., Lesser, V. M., McLanahan, S., Saada, G., Stokes, S. L., Trasande, L., and Duncan, G. (2014), "The National Children's Study 2014: Commentary on a Recent National Research Council/Institute of Medicine Report," Academic Pediatrics, 14.6: 545-546.
- Hildreth, L. A., Genschel, U., Lorenz, F. O., and Lesser, V. M. (2013), "A permutation test for correlated errors in adjacent questionnaire items," Structural Equation Modeling, 20:226-240.
- Lin, H. M., Kim, H. Y., Williamson, J. M., and Lesser, V.M. (2012), "Estimating Agreement Coefficients from Sample Survey Data," Survey Methodology, 38(1): 63-72.
Instructional and Departmental Activities
- Departmental Chair
- Director of the Survey Research Center
- Teaching responsibilities include:
- ST 431/531 Sampling Methods
- ST 411/511 Methods of Data Analysis I
- ST 412/512 Methods of Data Analysis II
- ST 552 Statistical Methods I
- American Statistical Association (ASA), Fellow
- International Statistical Institute (ISI), Elected Member
- American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR)